Senior Scientist Analytical Development-Small Molecule Method Development — Beerse, Belgium-00000JRB
Janssen Research and Development (Janssen R&D) of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, Small Molecule Method Development/Analytical Development (AD-SMMD) has a Senior Scientist vacancy in Beerse, Belgium.
Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. Research and development areas encompass novel targets in neurologic disorders, gastroenterology, oncology, infectious disease, diabetes, hematology, metabolic disorders, immunologic disorders, and reproductive medicine.
AD-SMMD is a department of Pharmaceutical Development and Manufacturing Sciences (PDMS) within the Janssen R&D organization.
The department is responsible for the analytical method development/validation of assay and related compounds evaluation/characterization test methods of small molecule drug substance, drug product, intermediates, chemical raw materials and in-process controls from early development through the lifecycle for commercial products; analytical transfer of these methods to internal and/or external clinical and commercial testing sites; characterization, certification, management and distribution of small molecule reference standards; supporting all regulatory filings (CTA/IND, NDA/MAA, post approval submissions), inspections and investigations.
Description of the role/key areas of accountability:
– Identifies, initiates and independently manages applied scientific and improvement projects in order to improve and/or support the analytical method development activities. Designs and executes scientific experiments, introduces new techniques to the solution of technical problems and for the characterization (assay/related compounds and other relevant attributes) of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API’s) and its raw materials/intermediate products and pharmaceutical finished products (DP’s).
– Works independently on the assigned projects. Maintains a lab presence and is actively and personally involved in lab work.
– Establishes priorities, checkpoints, and time frames for experimental work in support of individual and project / team objectives. Advises team leaders and management of resources needed to accomplish tasks.
– Keeps abreast of current scientific developments and new techniques by reading the current scientific literature and by interacting with the international scientific community. Applies information from literature searches to current projects, and to the development of new ideas.
– Interacts with other departments and project teams, presents project proposals and results in project- and scientific meetings as appropriate to support team and departmental goals.
– Acts as a scientific coach for junior staff members.
– Recommends and justifies the purchase of materials and equipment.
– Is responsible for the proper recording of information and raw data obtained during the experiments and for the timely preparation of technical reports. Summarizes, interprets, reviews data, and draws conclusions. Ensures that records are properly retained.
– Follows established operating procedures and safety regulations adhering to company work standards.
– Advanced scientific degree (PhD) with at least 5 years of pharmaceutical experience (post graduate education and post graduate research experience will count towards the years of experience) but at the minimum a Masters’ degree in Chemistry or Pharmacy or Biochemistry or related scientific field, with at least 10 years of pharmaceutical or relevant experience is required.
– In-depth technical knowledge and high level of technical proficiency of different (instrumental) analytical techniques (e.g. separation science -LC, GC IC, CE-, wet chemistry -titrations, specific optical rotation, UV spectroscopy- and spectrometric characterization techniques LC-MS(/MS), GC-MS/MS)) required.
– Previous experience in working in a global and/or matrix organization and collaboration with external partners (e.g. contract research organizations, academics) is a plus.
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
– Excellent English oral and written proficiency is required.
Primary Location:Europe/Middle East/Africa-Belgium-Antwerp-Beerse
Organization: Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Job Function: R&D